Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Tomorrow night...

I'll be back in Woodville, WI, this time as part of a trio "Ross, Martin, and John" (the bassist always seems to get last billing) because we don't have another name yet. We have a five song set and the crowd, if there is one, will probably determine how many of them we play.

There's something about night in a small town. Mostly dark, with streaks of light wherever people gather, the shadows are cool and inviting and so are the sounds that greet you when you step indoors. Playing at these small places is like beautiful noise in the middle of quiet and when its done everything returns to silence again. The first step out the door is always the best.

I may forget to take the interstate on the way back and take my chances with the small highways and the villages strung along them like irregular pearls. Its the smell of the outdoors as it speeds past your window and the sense of home as you pass through into the night. There is a romance in the dusk that day dwellers never seem to understand.

I have many lives all wrapped up in one body and this life, the life where music flows from my fingers for two or two hundred as night settles into the countryside is one of my favorites. I never tire of it and tomorrow as the sun sets I'll be heading east into Wisconsin to sample the menu.

No comments:

Post a Comment