Tuesday, September 22, 2009

I was hoping...

that in a crazy world the Church would be an anchor, an alternative, something better and higher. February 24th of this year changed all that. It turns out that Orthodoxy, like everything else, like me, has its moments of weakness.

So what to do?

I could descend into bitterness or cynicism and dwell on the betrayal of it all. Believe me the thought has occurred. I could pretend, from the safety of my parish kingdom, that things aren't as they seem and just bide the time until folks go away or pass away. I could get up and leave for greener grass on the other side of some fence.

Only one thing seems certain now. I have to do my best to stay faithful. The rest is in God's hands.

1 comment:

  1. After ten years Orthodox and having all my fantasies about "the true faith" shattered, yes, it is at the bottom line, show up and pray regardless of whether or not the entire rest of the world does so or not. I've decided sadness is not a sin, apostasy is another thing entirely.

    ReplyDelete