Wednesday, July 8, 2009

My apologies...

to Cincinnati regarding a prior post. I forgot one simple fact.

When you normally travel through a city its very probable the highway cuts through some nasty parts of town. Now whether the road was the attempted cure for, or the source of, the blight is another question but the first layer following downtown can be quite depressing. So, by the way, can an area around a working river like the Ohio.

But there were and are bright spots along the way. Cincinnati's downtown was clean and safe, at least on game day, parking was reasonable, and the Great American Ballpark spacious and authentic. The seats were comfortable (seats in the Metrodome in Minneapolis feel even narrower compared to them) and people were generally not boorish (I had to sit one row in front of a Red Sox fan a month ago...).

The suburbs around Cincinnati, well they looked suburban with the added touch of hills coming up from the river. The road to St. James Church in Loveland was particularly nice and reminded me of the bluffs around LaCrosse. By the way, if you ever want to see how people can turn a old school building into a house of worship you should visit St. James Church, the transformation is remarkable.

One thing, though, is for certain. I really like to travel and if I had lottery type money its the one thing I would spend it on, that and some really cool basses. Yet no matter where I go I still like my own bed the best, probably always will. Oh, and the Sheraton Hotel didn't provide a cat with each room. How can a person possibly fall asleep without a cat in the room?

No comments:

Post a Comment