Wednesday, July 1, 2009

I arrived at Cincinnati...

around 10:30 am local time. The flight was delayed but uneventful and I filled the time by reading "What's So Great About Christianity" by Dinesh D'Souza.

Driving through the center of town I'm struck at how worn the city looks. The sign said "Settled in 1788" and there are rows of very interesting houses, tall, skinny, European, that seem like they've been there since then, some without the benefit of a paintbrush. At one time this was the edge of America but America seems to have caught up and passed Cincinnati.

I was struck, too, at the Ohio river as I made my way from the airport, which is actually in Kentucky, to the city itself. Around a century and a half ago this river was the last step towards freedom for slaves and it must have been surreal to be on one side in captivity hoping you could find your way across to the lights on the other shore and freedom.

I'm hoping to see the Reds play on Thursday night and add another stadium to my collection. I'm hoping, too, that the troubles which have presented themselves in the larger Archdiocese stay some distance away. We'll see.

And now for a nap.

No comments:

Post a Comment