Wednesday, January 31, 2007

A question or two..

Everyone who believes in God probably has a question or two they would like to ask just to kind of make some sense of things.

My current one is this. I wonder why God allows humanity to get so crazy?

Whether its manic Muslims looking for nukes or people who think sex with animals is worthy of an investigative film the world has had its share of people, myself included, who sometimes just go off the deep end and have moments or even whole lifetimes of barking madness. Even whole cultures succumb.

I suspect there are more than a few people who watch the news or wander around online and just end up scratching their heads and saying "What the h---?" And just when you think it can't get worse someone finds a way to up the ante and get wierder, or madder, or more perverted, or more distant from sanity. Can anyone argue that a world where Parish Hilton is a celebrity and Hugo Chavez is a President is a world with a grip on things?

Now revelation tells me and faith accepts the existence of a plan. But there are moments when I can't get my head around how that plan is working out. Part of that, maybe most of it, is due to the fact that I'm not God (which by the way is a good thing for the universe). Yet a fair amount of it is really a matter of pity. I don't always understand where the mercy is in letting finite beings, fragile to the extreme and broken in body, mind, and soul, to their whims.

The Psalmist says that God "remembers our frame and knows that we are dust..." and that's probably the most provable statement in the universe. So what good can come from letting us descend to our depths and endure the pain and suffering that comes from that incoherence? Where does free will need to end for the sake of mercy? When is enough, enough?

God only knows. But I still wonder sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment